Meet our Board of Directors
Michael began his entrepreneurial career establishing a diverse number of local businesses in retail, hospitality and business services fields. He also co-founded Firma Foreign Exchange Corporation (formerly Globex Foreign Exchange Corporation) in 1998 and remained its President and CEO until 2013. During that time, he spearheaded and facilitated the expansion of the company across international borders. In 2007, he was awarded the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year award.
Michael was elected to represent Ward 5 on Edmonton City Council in October 2013. In that capacity he has served on a variety of committees, boards and initiatives including the City Manager and City Auditor Performance Evaluation, Chairing the Transportation Committee, Community Standards and Licensing Appeal Board, Edmonton Northlands, the Emerging Economy Initiative and the Edmonton Police Commission.
He is also a past board member of the Alberta Chapter of the Young Presidents' Organization (YPO) and is currently a board member of the Alberta YPO Gold Chapter. He has served on the boards of various other non-profit organizations.
Don has had a distinguished career in professional service firm executive and client management. He specializes in strategic management and organizational transformation and has had extensive experience with Board and Executive Management in complex aspects of the strategy process.
Don is currently a Chair/Director of five privately held entrepreneurial businesses. He is also a current Chair of the Fort Edmonton Management Company and the Royal Mayfair Golf Club. He is a past Director of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta (now CPA Alberta), Alberta Pensions Services, and a past Trustee of the Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital Foundation.
Don has a particular interest in supporting Boards of Directors in their governance role. He has also worked extensively with executives by developing systems and processes that enable the Board and Executive teams to work toward common goals and fulfill the accountabilities of their respective roles in the organization.
Terry Freeman is currently Head of Investments for ATB Capital, a private equity firm making minority equity investments in Alberta based companies. In the past he served as Managing Director of Northern Plains Capital, a niche private equity firm specializing in growth oriented oil field services and energy industrial investments.
Founded in 2005, Northern Plains Capital had $140 million under management in three funds and made 17 investments in various companies. As a Managing Director, Mr. Freeman was responsible for sourcing investments and investors, driving strategy, value creation and eventual exits for investments and corporate governance at a Board of Directors level.
Mr. Freeman also spent fifteen years as Chief Financial Officer of Flint Energy and its predecessors, where he managed the financial and administrative operations of the company including investor and banking relations, risk management, mergers and acquisitions and various other executive responsibilities including acting as Corporate Secretary. He spent five years on the board of Flint following his tenure as Chief Financial Officer until its eventual sale.
He currently sits on the boards of a number of private construction, energy services, private equity and real estate ventures as well as the board of directors of McCoy Global Inc., a publicly traded oilfield services company; and Vertex Resource Group Ltd., a publicly traded energy services business.
In addition to these roles, Mr. Freeman has held multiple volunteer positions with the Chartered Professional Accountants of Alberta, Chief Financial Officer Leadership Program, the University of Alberta, and various other community and charitable organizations. Mr. Freeman graduated from the University of Alberta in 1982 with a Bachelor of Commerce degree, is a Fellow of the Chartered Professional Accountants of Alberta and holds the ICD.D designation from the Institute of Corporate Directors.
Transformational general manager and adviser with a 23-year track record of successfully launching and turning around a wide range of businesses in Europe, the US and Canada: customer facing, processing operations, business services, mass market, high net worth, technology dependent, people dependent, in large publicly traded businesses and entrepreneurial privately funded businesses.
A proven operational leader who builds strong management teams. Pragmatically (re)defines business models from market place strategy through operating priorities to investor value maximization. His numerous achievements include:
- Increased over two years EBITDA fivefold in $1 billion revenue BPO operating on three continents.
- Identified and managed over $500 million in business acquisitions for private equity.
- Improved over 1-year NIBT by $28M at one of the top 200 private companies in Canada.
- Reduced over 1-year, unit costs by 24%, maintained customer satisfaction and increased sales 60% in a business with 2300 full-time equivalent employees.
- Launched, in a private venture ($60M US capital raised), an innovative wealth management offering with industry average margins and industry leading pricing, performance, and variable cost…acquired 6000 clients in the first quarter of operation.
- Launched a direct origination mortgage business, self-funding in year one, originating $1B US in its first operating year and achieving 35+% RAROC.
- In under a year improved NIBT by $12M US for $4B US funds under management investment adviser and broker dealer.
- Produced over 4 quarters, an 8-fold improvement in service levels, and a 25% improvement in variable costs, while tripling volume and product breadth, in a call center with 300 full-time equivalent employees.
- Created private venture ($30M US capital raised) application service provider for financial institutions.
- Developed a platform able to launch new banking propositions and brands for just $1M infrastructure.
- Launched private label banking for 300,000-member organization.
FREE eBook – 8 Ways to Protect Your Business from Foreign Exchange Risks
Learn how to get a great exchange rate and move money safely.